Benvenuto!
I'll be uploading new notes and pictures as I travel throughout Europe, so check back often...
You can see photos of my travels by clicking under view all my photos at the right.
You can read my older notes by clicking under view all my posts at the right.
Feel free to comment on my notes by clicking comments after each post.


10 September 2007

Siamo Qui...

After about 26 hours of travel (excluding the 6 hour time difference—that would make it 32) we finally arrived in Rome. The actual trip proved to be an interesting adventure in itself. I had to check one of my carry-on bags at the Paris airport because the carabineers on the outside of my bag could apparently be used as deadly weapons, as the security guy demonstrated by placing one of them over his fist like brass knuckles. Frustratingly imaginative, those Frenchmen.

Anyways, we made it to Rome. We were bussed from the airport and dropped off right in front of Sant’Andrea della Valle, a huge 17th century church in Rome’s historic center. Our home away from home for the year, the Albergo Sole, is one city block (maybe 50 yards) from Sant’Andrea. My room with Adam and Nick is on the main floor of the hotel, right above a nice restaurant, and it has a small balcony that overlooks a little piazza called Piazza Pollarola. We’re a 20 minute walk from San Pietro (St. Peter’s—the Vatican), a 5 minute walk from the Pantheon, a 2 minute walk to Campo Dei Fiori, and a one minute climb to a roof terrace that overlooks a generous portion of Rome. It’s grrrrreat.

Studio is in a gorgeous old building that used to be home to a famous poet and an actress. There’s a marble (and faux-marble) clad staircase leading upstairs to the actual studios, most of which have very high and/or elaborately-decorated ceilings. My studio has a balcony with a nice view of Via Monterone, the little street that leads up to our building. My desk is right next to a giant window that overlooks a few terra cotta rooftops and terraces.

Notable events thus far:
I visited Mickey’s (really Miscellanea), a little pub owned by a guy who loves Notre Dame students, or at least the business they bring. Tereza and I Watched the sunrise at the Pantheon. I’ve purchased numerous meals and had a few moderate conversations with strangers in Italian (well, maybe a little Spanish too). I had a delicious three-course meal at Rosso Pomodoro (the Red Tomato). I’ve eaten generous amounts of gelato. I’ve eaten “sexy pizza” (crust, tomato sauce, mozzarella, olives, peppers, mushrooms, hard-boiled eggs). I’ve had a casual conversation with my friends…in front of the Pantheon. I’ve had water from the oh-so-tasty (and surprisingly clean) water fountains around Rome. I survived La Notte Bianca (The White Night—a huuuuge semi-annual Italian all-night party). I’ve watched the Irish lose (but not before watching Michigan lose even worse) at an Irish pub. I’ve helped cook and eat chicken pesto pasta with an apple vinegar salad and Italian garlic bread. Mmmmmmmmmm…

Notable places I’ve visited thus far:
Basilica di San Pietro (St. Peter’s Basilica—the Vatican), Vatican Square, Piazzale del Faro (road on top of Rome’s wall; where I took the panoramic pictures), Tres Stevere, Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona, La Fontana di Trevi (The Trevi Fountain), Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, San’Andrea delle Valle, Il Gesu, and Palazzo Farnese.

I’m in the process of uploading and labeling a couple hundred photos, so I’ll try to have them up as soon as possible. Keep checking back. I now have my Italian cell number (it’s posted at the right). To call me from the U.S., dial 011-39- and then my area code & number. 011 is the code to make an international call and 39 is the Italian country code. It doesn’t cost me anything to receive a call from you, but it may cost you a lot. I also have my residence address posted at the right, but because this is just a hotel, please DO NOT send mail here (send it to the studio address on Via Monterone). You are, however, more than welcome to visit...

That’s all I’ve got this week. I’ll let you know how my first week of class and the first field trip to Hadrian’s Villa goes at the end of the week. TTFN…

No comments: