Benvenuto!
I'll be uploading new notes and pictures as I travel throughout Europe, so check back often...
You can see photos of my travels by clicking under view all my photos at the right.
You can read my older notes by clicking under view all my posts at the right.
Feel free to comment on my notes by clicking comments after each post.


04 April 2008

Whistle Whilst You Work

Time is flying by faster than ever here in the Eternal City. I now have just a little over three weeks before I'm back in the States. It's crazy...

My studio is working on another town re-planning project. This time it's for the town of Nocera Umbra, a small Umbrian hilltown that's conveniently plagued with earthquakes. We're proposing a stronger urban structure that works with the hills and the Medeival character of the whole place. We'll just see if we can get it all done in the next three weeks or so. Yikes!

Next weekend I'm going to take a two-day excursion over to Le Cinque Terre (literlaly, the Five Earths). It's a group of small towns over on the coast that are all connected with hiking trails. It's commonly considered the most beautiful place in Italy, so I think it's well worth a short studio diversion to enjoy it for a couple of days...

At the end of the academic year here in Rome, we will be having a pretty big reception for our current Program Director, Samir Younes, who is stepping down after ten years with the Rome Studies Program. I'm told that there will be many distinguished architects and other notables, including Leon Krier and Dimitri Porphyrios, two world-renowned European architects. It should be a nice and classy farewell.

In the meantime, I'm trying my best to stay stress-free. I've found that I can eat a slice of pizza in the time it takes me to thoroughly enjoy a walk across Piazza Navona on a warm, sunny day during my lunch break between classes. I will be doing this as often as possible over the next few weeks. Good books help too. If you're looking for a really good one, you might try "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time," by Mark Haddon. It'll really make you think...

Ciao for now,

Brian

No comments: