Benvenuto!
I'll be uploading new notes and pictures as I travel throughout Europe, so check back often...
You can see photos of my travels by clicking under view all my photos at the right.
You can read my older notes by clicking under view all my posts at the right.
Feel free to comment on my notes by clicking comments after each post.


17 February 2008

Skiing Above the Clouds

The title isn't a typo--I went skiing in Austria again, this time in Innsbruck. Tereza and I decided it would be pretty cool to take a little vacation from architectural exploration and enjoy some skiing. We found a veeeery cheap and veeeery nice hotel with an incredible view over the city and ski passes included. They were also conveniently near the free bus to the ski slopes. Some countries do things right.

The first day we skiied on the slopes nearest our hotel. It took me a while to remember how to ski again (after only one time about two months earlier), but I got the hang of it again before too long. They were having a big snowboarding competition that weekend, so it was pretty busy. It was warm and the runs weren't that long, so the snow was pretty nasty and slushy for the most part (which is apparently bad and difficult to turn in, as my soreness can attest to), but I can't complain too much. I don't think Tereza stopped smiling all day. We explored Innsbruck later that night before catching a nice dinner with a waiter who just looked like he should be named Peabody.

Skiing day 2 took us to a mountain on the other side of the valley that started higher and had longer, better runs. It was really cloudy and foggy in the city, so we were kind of discouraged about skiing at first, but when our gondola took us above the clouds to where the slopes were, we were in a much better mood. I can't describe how beautiful it was--it was like something from a movie. Easily the most beautiful view I've ever had. It was an incredible, inexpensive, and unforgettale experience. (see pictures by clicking "Innsbruck, Austria - Ski Trip" at the right)

Now I'm off to go pick up my family at the airport for a week of good times in beautiful, beautiful Rome. I'm pumped to show them around my home away from home and perhaps show off some of my Italian speaking and cooking skills, although we'll see how the latter goes. The Drostes in Rome...here it goes.

Home in a little over two months,

Brian

No comments: